First Light Over Zabriskie Point
- Title: First Light Over Zabriskie Point
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Death Valley National Park
- Nearest Town: Furnace Creek
- Brief Directions: Drive from Stovepipe Wells past Furnace Creek Ranch/Inn on Hwy 190 and turn into the Zabriskie Lookout 8miles past Furnace Creek Inn
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: The mere mention of Death Valley invokes stereotypical visions of a harsh, arid, desolate, inhospitable desert. However, when I spent a few days there last month, I found beauty abound in its curvy dunes, symmetry in its baked earth and in its salt flats. Nowhere is this beauty more stark than around the badlands of Zabriskie.
Euphemistic as it may sound, beauty and rugged can be used in conjunction to describe these badlands. Manly Beacon stands as the most recognizable face of these badlands. I started out well before dawn to make the hour long drive to Zabriskie. When the sun rose above the Black Mountains on the east, it painted the rugged ridges of Zabriskie into alternate bands of light and shadow. I composed the image with a tighter crop to emphasize the ridges that make up the badlands.
- Gear: Nikon D3, Nikkor 70-200mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 362 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!