Surviving Winter At Grayson
- Title: Surviving Winter At Grayson
- State/Province/Region: Virginia
- Country: United States
- Nearest Town: Volney, 8 miles east
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: This January hike was quite memorable as my family and I hiked to Massie Gap at Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia. The conditions were fierce at 0 degrees with strong wind gusts and blowing snow. These feral ponies that call Massie Gap home were having a difficult time finding food and rarely raised their heads. One pony eventually (as my hands were freezing) raised his head for a moment, and I could see the snow and ice frozen around his eyes. On later hikes, I have noticed several of these same ponies and know that they have adapted to this often harsh environment.
- Gear: Nikon d 300s, 10-24 f 3.5-4.5
This Photo Has Been Viewed 218 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!