Matterhorn Above The Clouds
- Title: Matterhorn Above The Clouds
- Country: Switzerland
- Nearest Area: Canton Valais/Wallis, Switzerland
- Nearest Town: Zermatt
- Brief Directions: Gornergratbahn rack railway from Zermatt up to the top at Gornergrat
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: It probably wasn’t too promising for photography in Zermatt and the valleys below on this autumn afternoon.
Ah, but at ten thousand-plus feet on the Gornergrat, it was a photographer's paradise.
The cloud deck had topped out just below the Gornergratbahn station, affording this superbly clear view across to the mighty Matterhorn,
rising above the wispy tops of the cumulus, set off by the high altitude sunshine and deep blue skies.
Last October, I realized a long held wish – to stay at the hotel on the Gornergrat, high above Zermatt and
eye-to-eye with the Matterhorn and the peaks of the Monte Rosa Massif. The hotel’s full name is 3100 Kulm Hotel.
The 3100 refers to meters above sea level – that’s 10,170 feet worth of altitude if you like the bigger numbers ;-)
Knowing weather conditions at such altitudes can be fickle, I arranged to stay for three nights, to ensure
the best chances for shooting under the best conditions. I needn't have worried, as my luck held out for the
entire period. And when one can end each photo-packed day as well as greet the dawn eye to eye with the
Matterhorn from one's window...well, it just doesn't get better than that for an Alpine-loving camera-toter
- Gear: Canon EOS-40D/Canon 17-85mm IS Lens @47mm+Polarizer
This Photo Has Been Viewed 217 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!