The Great Falls in Paterson, NJ were pivotal in powering industry after the Revolutionary War. Alexander Hamilton visited it in 1778 and helped found the city of Patterson around the falls as a "national manufactory." In 1793, the falls was the site of the first water-powered cotton spinning mill in New Jersey. In 1812, it was the site of the state's first continuous roll paper mill. Other products whose construction used the falls as a power source include the Rogers Locomotive Works (1832), the Colt revolver (1837), and the USS Holland (SS-1) (1898).