- Title: The Swirl
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Vermillion Cliff NM
- Nearest Town: Halfway between Page AZ and Kanab, UT
- Brief Directions: The most important direction is to obtain a permit from the Bureau of Land Management. To protest this fragile land and preserve a wliderness feel, BLM lets only 20 people a day into the North Coyote Butte area. Here is ta link to the BLM website: http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsmain/paria/coyote_buttes.html.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Located just a couple hundred yards to the south of "The Wave" a hiker leave behind the red hues of the Wave and enters a domain of soft yellows, oranges, and sands. There, the rocks are fabulously sculpted into fins that swirl into sensuous, sinuous shapes. The formation faces the West and northwest and is easily bleached out by mid-day sun. But as the warm light of late afternoon sweeps in from the west, the fins stand in bas-relief and the warm light coaxes the yellows and oranges to softly glow. This image seeks to capture that late-day moment.
- Gear: Nikon D70s, Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. Manfrotto tripod, Gitzo head
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1898 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!