- Title: Alvord Desert
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Steens Mountain
- Nearest Town: Fields, Or
- Brief Directions: Take highway 20 east from Bend to Burns, highway 78 from Burns east to the Fields-Denio road and then south to the desert and Steens Mountain.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: The Alvord Desert lies to the east of Steens Mountain in the high desert area of southeastern Oregon. It is not large and is a very flat dry alkali lake bed. In the spring parts can flood and the drying process forms marvellous "tiles" and in some instances cracks. It is open to vehicular travel so it sometimes takes a little moving around to find an unspoiled area.
- Gear: Nikon D80, 18-200 Nikkor zoom, tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 425 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!