Mendenhall Glaciers Warm Retreat
- Title: Mendenhall Glaciers Warm Retreat
- State/Province/Region: Alaska
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mendenhall Valley
- Nearest Town: Juneau
- Brief Directions: Drive to the west side of the glacier and hike the west glacier trail for about 3 miles. Verge off of the trail only slightly to the right when the vegetation is bare. Be extremely careful of cliffs.
- Description: Mendenhall Glacier retreats an average of 200 feet a year. It is the most photographed glacier in the United States, but every day the pictures are different because it is shrinking rapidly. This shot was taken just before a storm rolled in to dim the light. It was taken from halfway up Mt. McGinis. The mountain in the background is Mt. Bullard and has several avalanche shoots down its cliffs.
- Gear: Canon 5D 17-35mm f/2.8 lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 356 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!