Balanced Rock-big Bend National Park
- Title: Balanced Rock-big Bend National Park
- State/Province/Region: Texas
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Big Bend National Park
- Nearest Town: Marathon
- Brief Directions: Drive east from Presidio or south from Marathon to Big Bend and take the Grapevine Hills road to the trailhead.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: This rock formation is a result of volcanic upheaval millions of years ago. The balanced boulder frames Nugent peak in the distance. You need to walk this trail and make a short climb up the mountain in the dark with a light to capture this easterly facing landscape at sunrise. I've been here 4 times and only seen one other photographer here at sunrise, so you'll probably have the whole area to yourself.
- Gear: Canon XSI, Tamron 18-270mm zoom lens, Manfrotto tripod, polarizer, cable release
This Photo Has Been Viewed 171 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!