Blue Skies Over Wild Catawba Rhododendron
- Title: Blue Skies Over Wild Catawba Rhododendron
- State/Province/Region: North Carolina
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Western North Carolina
- Nearest Town: Roan Mountain
- Brief Directions: Bakersville, NC to Carver's Gap, TN. Appalachian Trail over Round Bald, Engine Gap, and Jane's Bald to a spur trail to Grassy Ridge Bald.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: My hope was for the sun's first morning rays to light the pink Rhododendron to lend the blooms some life. However, what I got was a load of lively fog and some fantastic blue skies playing peek-a-boo. The beauty of landscape photography for me personally is the constant need to adapt your expectations; you enter a scene with an idea of what you're going to see, then the scene presents and you've got to quickly reassemble yourself and your gear to capture the conditions as they are. This constant change and adaptation keeps things fresh and interesting for me, and makes returning to the same location--like Grassy Ridge--a consistently exciting experience. Grassy Ridge is on the state borders of Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee. The bald is accessed via a spur trail off of the Appalachian Trail near Carver's Gap, TN.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 16-35 mm, 2-stop GND
This Photo Has Been Viewed 40 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!