- Title: Purple Rain
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Grand Canyon National Park
- Nearest Town: Williams
- Brief Directions: In Grand Canyon National Park take the shuttle bus to Hopi Point - this is from the main viewing area there.
- GPS Longitude: -112.1546145
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: Our first sunset over the Grand Canyon. This was taken from Hopi Point which is considered to be the best place in the Canyon to catch the sunset because of the views to the East and the West.
What was actually most interesting that night was what was unexpected and that was the purple rain in the distance. It had rained on and off all day but I noticed the break in the bottom of the clouds which I thought would at least provide some color for sunset. However, the rain hadn’t stopped in the distance and as a result we were treated to a colorful passing rain over Mount Trumbull (on the horizon in the upper right hand corner of this image). Most people were so focused on the sunset that they missed the rain but that was such a bonus to this image that I had to take a wide angle and capture both the sunset and the purple reflecting rain.
- Gear: Canon Rebel T1i and Tamron 10 - 28 lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 42 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!