Sunrise From Mather Point
- Title: Sunrise From Mather Point
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Grand Canyon National Park (Mather Point)
- Nearest Town: Williams
- Brief Directions: In Grand Canyon National Park go to the main station (Mather Station) and head to the overlook.
- GPS Longitude: -112.1079463
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: The Mather Point overlook is the ‘main’ overlook on the South Rim and as a result it is PACKED each day for sunrise. I read that prior to the trip so I was prepared to battle the crowd and even came across a few nice folks I’d met the night before at sunset. We arrived about an hour before the ‘show’ and were one of the first few people there. As I snapped away I heard crowds gathering but was ‘in the zone’ so to say so never really turned around to see what was going on behind me. After battling for an hour and shooting 200 – 300 pictures I turned around to see if Gretchen was ready to leave. When we first got there she sat right behind me so that is where I expected to find her. She wasn’t there – I lost my wife in the grand canyon among a hoard of mostly Asian tourists who it seems had all arrived in large caravan buses. I looked far and wide but all despite the fact she is tall and blonde the crowds made this task more difficult than playing Where’s Waldo. Eventually, after I had salmoned my way through the crowd I found her taking some iPhone pictures far away from the crowds. Apparently, the tourists had little sense of the ‘personal space’ we are accustomed to but I was too zoned out to notice. I’m just glad I didn’t have to explain to my in-laws how I lost their daughter in the middle of the Grand Canyon.
- Gear: Canon Rebel t1i and Tamron 10 - 22 lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 31 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!