- Title: Room With A View
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Yosemite National Park
- Nearest Town: Yosemite Village
- Brief Directions: Three miles up the Upper Yosemite Falls trail, find a crack in the north wall and start climbing to reach this viewpoint.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: Finding a unique viewpoint in Yosemite Valley to photograph is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Nevertheless, that’s what I set out to do this evening in May. I had a vague idea for a shot which included two valley icons, Yosemite Falls and Half Dome, so I set out along the upper falls trail, unsure of what I would find. After about three miles of hiking, I turned to find an incredible vista of Half Dome and the roaring Falls. Unfortunately, the base of the upper falls was blocked from sight by vegetation. I solved that problem by (perhaps foolishly) climbing about 60 feet up the granite cliffs behind me and shimmying out onto a small ledge, which while slightly terrifying, gave me the clear view I needed to capture this image.
- Gear: Nikon D300s, Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens, Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead, Lee GND Filters
This Photo Has Been Viewed 609 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!