- Title: Icy Auroras
- Country: Greenland
- Nearest Area: top of the Greenland ice sheet
- Nearest Town: Summit Station
- Brief Directions: wow, you must work here and only 5 of us get the opportunity at any one time during the winter season. We charter a twin otter with skis from Iceland or Kangerlussuaq, Greenland and bring warm clothes.
- GPS Longitude: 38.4
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Auroras at NSF research station on top of the Greenland ice sheet. The night had a light ice fog which diluted the auroras but fantastic colors shown through regardless. The sun had an outburst flinging a coronal mass ejection toward the earth a few days previous. The temperature was -41c/-42f at 12:20am on Oct 6th, 2011. With the fog, even at f1.8 this was a 25 second exposure
- Gear: Canon 5D mark 2, Sigma 20mm lens f1.8
This Photo Has Been Viewed 217 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!