Gentoo Penguins Resting And Playing On Antarctic Iceberg
- Title: Gentoo Penguins Resting And Playing On Antarctic Iceberg
- Nearest Area: Antarctic Peninsula
- Nearest Town: Ushuaia, Argentina
- Brief Directions: Take a cruise ship from Ushuaia, Argentina, and steam south for three days.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Off the Antarctic Peninsula, there are two types of floating ice. There is “sea ice,” which is formed by the freezing of sea water, and these icebergs tend to be greenish in color. In contrast, there are icebergs that are born on land, as part of glaciers, and then break off and begin their floating life. These icebergs, often created deep in the glaciers, tend to be very dense, with few and small air bubbles. This results in the absorption of colors in the low frequency end of the spectrum (reds, oranges) and results in a beautiful bluish color. These Gentoo Penguins have climbed up on one of the glacier-created icebergs to rest and play, after spending many hours hunting and feeding at sea.
- Gear: Nikon D70, Tamron 18.0-250.0 mm f/3.5-6.3 lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 100 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!