Mono Lake Symphony
- Title: Mono Lake Symphony
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mono Lake/Eastern Sierras
- Nearest Town: Lee Vining
- Brief Directions: From Hwy 395, located east of Yosemite National Park, drive 5 miles south to sign for Mono Lake, South Tufa Area. Turn left, and continue east for about 5 miles, until the parking area.
- Description: Two hours earlier I was standing in the pouring rain at Mono Lake, looking up to the sky trying to decide whether to laugh or cry. I just stood there for probably 30 minutes, when all of a sudden my attention was drawn to the western skies. That was where this storm was traveling from, and it was from the west that I could now see some patches of blue beginning to appear.
As sunset drew closer, I determined which area of the sky would provide the best chance for drama and color, and then set up my tripod and camera so I could capture the unfolding moments.
Even though there were other potentially good views worth shooting, I decided to concentrate on this one scene. I shot different exposures, to capture the scene in various ways while the changing light painted it’s colorful brush strokes. I used a four-minute exposure for this particular image, to extract as much color and drama as possible from the scene.
- Gear: Nikon D7000 / Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 / Gitzo Tripod / Vanguard Ballhead / B+W 110 ND Grad / Singh-Ray 3-Stop soft ND Grad
This Photo Has Been Viewed 130 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!