Artist's Palette, Death Valley
- Title: Artist's Palette, Death Valley
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Death Valley National Park
- Nearest Town: Baker
- Brief Directions: Artist's Palette is located in Death Valley National Park. The curvy, one-way, one lane Artist’s Drive leads you up to the edge of the Black Mountains.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Artist's Drive rises up to the top of an alluvial fan fed by a deep canyon cut into the Black Mountains. Artist's Palette is on the face of the Black Mountains and is noted for having various colors of rock. These colors are caused by the oxidation of different metals (red, pink and yellow is from iron salts, green is from decomposing tuff-derived mica, and manganese produces the purple).
- Gear: Nikon N90s
This Photo Has Been Viewed 83 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!