- Title: Hawaiian Sunet
- State/Province/Region: Hawaii
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Kukuiula Boat Harbor
- Nearest Town: Poiou
- Brief Directions: Using a B+W ND filter to slow the waves and clouds, hand holding a Lee ND grad to balance the exposure of the sky and beach.
Additional post processing clean up was done in Lightroom/Photoshop, and Nik software tools
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Kukuiula Boat Harbor was the furthest south and west facing position I could find for a Sunset photo while in Kauai this past September.
I set my tripod up on the beach as low as possible to bring in the rocks as my foreground. I used a B+W ND filter to give myself a slower shutter speed, because I wanted the water to have a sense of movement over the rocks. And I hand held a Lee ND grad filter to darken the sky to balance the over exposure of the photo.
When I was editing the photo, I found what I really love about this photo. Is that there are people sitting on the pier watching the sunset. It just brings a sense of realism to the photo.
- Gear: Nikon d800, 17-35mm F/2.8, B+W ND+1 filter, Lee ND Grad 0.6 filter handheld
This Photo Has Been Viewed 28 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!