- Title: Pele's Creation
- State/Province/Region: Hawaii
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Big Island (Hawai'i)
- Nearest Town: Hilo
- Brief Directions: Via land, you have to hike with a group that has a permit to lead tours; these come out of Kalapana, south of Hilo. You can also view the lava from the sea, when it is reaching the ocean.
- Description: On the Big Island (Hawai'i), a 30-year continuous eruption from the Pu'u O'o vent of Kilauea has created numerous lava flows, that sometimes reach the ocean. Here, in Kalapana, fresh lava is flowing into the sea, where it cools and helps create new land. This shot was taken about half-an-hour before sunrise.
- Gear: Canon 5D MkIII, Canon EF 24-70mm zoon, Induro tripod, Really Right Stuff ballhead
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1772 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!