Near Sunset At Spectacle Pond
- Title: Near Sunset At Spectacle Pond
- State/Province/Region: Massachusetts
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Berkshire County
- Nearest Town: Otis/Sandsifield
- Brief Directions: From Otis center head south on Route 8 for 3 miles. Turn right on Cold Spring Road for 3 miles, past the old farm. The pond is on the right.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Lower Spectacle Pond is part of Otis State Forest, and part of a state managed 900 acre open space preserve. This undeveloped area is as close to true wilderness as it gets in Massachusetts. General Henry Knox dragged 60 ton of cannon north of here, along Webb Road, in the winter of 1775/76, from Fort Ticonderoga to Charlestown, for the defense of Boston.
The cottage on the left is long abandoned, is the first of three that are accessible by dirt road and trail on the western edge of the 62 acre pond.
This was once a family farm, dating back to the mid-19th century. Two farmhouses and multiple barns and outbuildings still stand nearby.
- Gear: Nikon D3200
This Photo Has Been Viewed 30 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!