- Title: Lilac Breasted Roller
- Country: Kenya
- Nearest Area: Rift Valley Province
- Nearest Town: Narok
- Brief Directions: Mara Serena Airport, Musiara Airport and Keekorok Airport are located in the Reserve area of the Maasai Mara. Mara Shikar Airport, Kichwa Tembo Airport and Ngerende Airport are located in the Conservation area of the Maasai Mara.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: In the Maasai Mara National Reserve, there are many birds. And birds were not my first goal when photographing in the Reserve. But my second day of photography, I spied a Lilac Breasted Roller. The excitement of the other photographers in my group was evident. “This is your lucky day!” I was told, “It’s very rare to be able to photograph this bird and so close up!” From then on, I was alert for the colorful wings and beautiful demeanor of this little bird. There is no shyness on the part of this bird. It seemed happy for all the attention and it patiently waited until I had captured every angle and tilt of its head.
- Gear: Nikon D700, 500mm f/4 lens, 1.4 tele-extender
This Photo Has Been Viewed 39 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!