South Tufa Towers-mono Lake
- Title: South Tufa Towers-mono Lake
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mono Lake
- Nearest Town: Lee Vining
- Brief Directions: Mono Lake is in the Owens Valley in eastern California. The lake is well known for supplying water to Southern California and the resulting environmental impact. The tufa towers in this photo are alkaline deposits left by the draining of the lake at the turn of the century. Environmental efforts have prevented the lake from becoming totally dry, like Owens Lake to the south.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Taken at sunset among the Tufa Towers at Mono Lake, California. This was my first trip to Mono Lake in several years, and I was surprised to be among hundreds of other photographers that evening. I had a difficult time getting a wide shot of the towers and the lake without lots of other photographers in it, so I tried tighter shots of the soft light and distinct shapes of the towers.
- Gear: Canon EOS 5D MKIII, Canon EF 24-70mm lens with B+W polarizing filter, Canon 580 EXII Speedlite, Gitzo Mountaineer Tripod with RRS RH5 ballhead
This Photo Has Been Viewed 41 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!