Heart Of The Sierra
- Title: Heart Of The Sierra
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: John Muir Wilderness
- Nearest Town: Bishop
- Brief Directions: Head west from Bishop on hwy 168 to the south lake trailhead. It's about an 8 to 10 miles to the top and the last 2,000ft is a scramble up.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: I was trying to summit Mt. Agassiz (13,891ft) by sunrise once but didn't make it up in time so I returned and this time I made it. Camped up there without a tent or sleeping bag, yes it was cold there always other ways of keeping yourself warm. That was supposed to keep me occupied for a little while up in the dark with no moon but it wasn't pitch black up there. There was plenty of reflected starlight so I could actually see in the dark pretty well. This is a shot from just below the summit looking at Thunderbolt peak and the palisade glacier which is California's largest glacier. Sad to say but it looks more like a large snowfield to me. More or less it was a memorable experience for me that I won't forget for quite some time.
- Gear: Warm Colthes, anything warm.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 265 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!