1) The 12.4-megapixel D-SLR features the High-Speed Crop Mode of its predecessor, which delivers a resolution of 6.8 pixels, but the new D2xs viewfinder is now automatically masked. This eliminates the need to replace the camera's focusing screen and allows the photographer to switch between modes on the fly.
2) The 1005-pixel 3D Color Matrix II Metering system is now optimized when the High-Speed Crop Mode is engaged. This ensures that only the actual image area being used to capture the image is used to meter the scene. The center-weighted meter area of sensitivity is reduced from 12% to 10% when HSCM is enabled.
3) A revamped 2.5-inch LCD offers a 170-degree viewing angle that has been calibrated, making it a better tool for evaluating images for exposure, white balance and color.
4) A new Black And White Mode maintains the sRGB color space, so photographers can later edit the individual color channels (red, green and blue) for full control over contrast and tonality.
5) The Auto ISO feature allows the D2xs to adjust the sensor sensitivity on the fly to maintain a minimum shutter speed determined by the user. This means the photographer working under low light or fast-changing lighting conditions can focus on getting the picture rather than worrying about camera settings.
6) The high-capacity EN-EL4a rechargeable lithium-ion battery has been optimized to deliver approximately 3,800 images per charge. The camera's real-time battery Fuel Gauge system gives photographers an accurate power level that reflects the remaining life on the battery and the number of shots taken per charge. This provides the security of knowing more accurately when it's time to replace the battery.
7) The D2xs features two ways to create in-camera multiple exposures. Overlay combines two NEF files to produce an individual image, and the Multiple Exposure mode allows the photographer to shoot up to 10 images, hich are then combined automatically by the camera into a single image.
Image Sensor: 12.4-megapixel (effective) CMOS sensor
Sensor Size: 23.7x15.7mm; 4288 x 2848 recording pixels
Viewfinder Coverage: 97%
AF System: 11-Point TTL Phase Detection
Lens Magnification Factor: 1.5x
Shutter Speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec., X-sync at 1/250 sec.
ISO Setting: 100-800 (higher settings available)
Continuous Firing Mode: 5 fps (Full Image); 8 fps up to 60 frames (High-Speed Crop Mode)
Recording Format: JPEG, NEF
Metering: 1005-pixel 3D Color Matrix II, Center-Weighted, Spot
Computer Interface: Hi-Speed USB 2.0
Storage Media: Compact Flash Type I & II
Dimensions: 6.2x5.9x3.4 inches
Weight: 38.4 ounces
Power Source: Lithium-ion
Estimated Street Price: $4,649 (body only)
Contact: Nikon, (800) NIKON-UX, www.nikonusa.com
|Tricks Of The Trade
Using Nikon Capture NX software, the D2xs can upload up to three custom tone curves, allowing photographers to create customized looks as camera settings.