Torii At Itsukushima Shrine, Miyajima Island
- Title: Torii At Itsukushima Shrine, Miyajima Island
- Country: Japan
- Nearest Area: Hiroshima Prefecture
- Nearest Town: Hiroshima
- Brief Directions: Miyajima is just offshore from Hiroshima, by train/boat from Hiroshima Station.
- Notes: Check tides for low high tides before going out there, low tides not as interesting for photography
- GPS Longitude: 132.324997
- GPS Latitude: 34.294201
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: The dramatic torii of Itsukushima Shrine is one of Japan's most popular attractions. The gate has existed since 1168, though the current gate dates back to 1875. The gate is built of camphor wood and stands about 16 metres high and was built in a four legged style to provide additional stability. The gate only appears to be floating and only at high tide - when the tide is low the gate is surrounded by mud and not quite as spectacular. Retaining the purity of the island is so important that no deaths or births were permitted in the area.
- Gear: Canon DSLR
This Photo Has Been Viewed 733 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!