Kinkakuji - The Golden Pavilion, Kyoto
- Title: Kinkakuji - The Golden Pavilion, Kyoto
- Country: Japan
- Nearest Area: Kyoto
- Nearest Town: Kyoto
- Brief Directions: Kinkakuji is a treat in any season.
- Notes: To avoid mobs of tourists, go just after opening and/or just before closing.
- GPS Longitude: 135.7680294
- GPS Latitude: 35.0116363
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Kinkakuji was built in 1393 as a retirement villa for Shogun Yoshimitsu Ashikaga. He intended to cover the exterior with gold, but only managed to coat the the ceiling of the third floor with gold leaf before his death. After his death, his son converted the building into a Zen temple of the Rinzai school named Rokuonji, in accordance with Ashikaga's wishes.
- Gear: Canon 5D
This Photo Has Been Viewed 519 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!