The Temple Of Borobudur, Central Java - Worth Waking Up Early
- Title: The Temple Of Borobudur, Central Java - Worth Waking Up Early
- Country: Indonesia
- Nearest Area: Yogyakarta, Mageleng
- Nearest Town: Yogyakarta
- Brief Directions: Borobudur - This famous Buddhist temple, dating from the 8th and 9th centuries, is located in central Java.
It was built in three tiers: a pyramidal base with five concentric square terraces, the trunk of a cone with three circular platforms and, at the top, a monumental stupa.
The walls and balustrades are decorated with fine low reliefs, covering a total surface area of 2,500 m2. Around the circular platforms are 72 openwork stupas, each containing a statue of the Buddha. The monument was restored with UNESCO's help in the 1970s.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Borobudur is a ninth-century Mahayana Buddhist monument in Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia. The monument comprises six square platforms topped by three circular platforms, and is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504 Buddha statues.
- Gear: Canon 5D, EF 17-40 f4 L lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 657 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!