Cayos Cochinos (pig Keys)
- Title: Cayos Cochinos (pig Keys)
- Country: Honduras
- Nearest Area: East Coastal Highway
- Nearest Town: La Ceiba
- Brief Directions: Driving east from the popular coastal city of La Ceiba for 10 minutes is the small town of Sambo Creek. Along the shores of Sambo Creek, captains wait in the mornings to shuttle travelers to the islands. After a short boat ride (45 minutes), you will have the chance to stop by the scientific station on Cayo Menor (Small Key), a Garifuna fishing village on Chachahuate, and tour the archipelago of 14 keys, home of the second largest barrier reef in the world.
- Notes: For multi-day visits, which is highly recommended, you can speak with the Cayos Cochinos Foundation to stay on either Chachahuate, Cayo Largo, or on Eastend. Through the foundation, dive trips and personally chartered boats can be organized. The locals on Chachahuate are extremely friendly and welcome visitors. They provide an authentic Caribbean experience and offer fresh fish, plantains, and rice for visitors at a comfortable price. As a side note, most of the people working in tourism speak and understand English, however, brushing up on some Spanish basics would be a good idea.
- Best Season: Spring
- Gear: Underwater housing for coral reefs as well as all assortments of
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1679 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!