Old Market Square, Quito
- Title: Old Market Square, Quito
- Country: Ecuador
- Nearest Area: Quito, Ecuador
- Nearest Town: Quito, Ecuador
- Brief Directions: Go to Quito. Go to the historic, old town center.
- Notes: 1/8s at f/11.0 and ISO 450. Lens set at 35mm or 52mm FF equivalent. Love, love, love my trusty table-top tripod; the cheapest Leica branded item ever! My rule-of-thumb for city nightscapes is 1/8s at f/4 and ISO 400, which barely avoids blowing out streetlights. In this situation, there are extra ambient spotlights on the cathedral, which explains the f/11, but then the dark areas went extra dark. I had to use a left-shifted S-Curve in photoshop curves to bring the street glow to where I wanted it.
- GPS Longitude: 78
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Plaza de San Francisco, in the old Market Center of Quito Ecuador at night. The street urchin waved his hands in my lens, until I said "Retira se" in a forceful voice. The historic area is considered somewhat dangerous in terms of pick-pockets, but on this night it was well-occupied by hordes of Quitenos until 9:00 or so. More than normal caution may be warranted, but things are apparently not as bad as in the 1990s.
- Gear: Nikon D90, Nikon 18-35mm AF-D, Table-top tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 500 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!