- Title: Swoosh
- State/Province/Region: Washington
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mt. Rainier National Park/South central Washington State
- Nearest Town: Ashford
- Brief Directions: From Seattle
To White River/Sunrise/Ohanapecosh: South on I-5 to I 405 (exit 156). East on I 405 to SR 167. South on SR 167 to SR 410. East on SR 410 to the White River Entrance. Continue south on SR 410 to SR 123 past Stevens Canyon Road. Follow signs to Ohanapecosh.
To White River/Sunrise: North on I-5 to SR 512 east to SR 167 (exit 135) in Tacoma. Travel east on SR 167 to SR 410. Travel east on SR 410 to Mount Rainier National Park and White River/Sunrise area.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: I was driving through Mt. Rainier National Park, when I first noticed this scene begin to unfold. I quickly pulled over, grabbed my gear and began running toward the mountain, through the deep fresh new snow. With no idea where I was going, it seemed as if time was standing still. I must have ran about half a mile or so, when I arrived at this clearing. Of course, I then ended up waiting over an hour, until the sun was low enough to cause the cloud that enveloped the mountain, to glow. I pulled my Cokin graduated ND filter down far enough to enhance the top half of the image, while attempting to retain the natural color of the foreground snow.
- Gear: Pentax 645, Pentax 45mm f/2.8, Fujichrome Velvia, Manfrotto tripod, Standard Manfrotto head, Cokin Graduated ND Filter
This Photo Has Been Viewed 472 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!