- Title: Dawn's Early Light
- State/Province/Region: Alberta
- Country: Canada
- Nearest Area: Banff National Park
- Nearest Town: Banff
- Brief Directions: From the town of Banff, drive a short distance to Vermillion Lakes Dr. Endless compositions await along the lake side drive.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: This image was taken well before sunrise using an ISO of 2500 and a 30 second exposure. The scene looked very dark, but I could see the red blush beginning in the clouds on this clear morning so I tried some long exposure and capture the light as it slowly illuminated the scene. Typically, such a high ISO would yield a grainy image, but the camera sensors of full frame DSLRs can handle these situations very well. Coupled with proper exposure, surreal moments like this can be captured with a bit of planning and attention to detail. I focused in the dim light using Live View and shining my head lamp at my intended focus location. I carefully moved along the icy lake to a melted heart shaped pool to create this composition. I placed some cardboard under my knees as I knelt to prevent my body heat from melting the ice and it helped distribute my weight.
- Gear: Canon 5D II, Canon 28-105L, Manfrotto trpod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 65 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!