- Title: Grise Fiord
- State/Province/Region: Nunavut
- Country: Canada
- Nearest Area: About 2000 miles south
- Nearest Town: Resolute Bay
- Brief Directions: Grise Fiord is the most northerly community in Canada, existing 720 miles above the Arctic Circle. At approximately 76.25N, 82.54W it is perhaps the closest you can go to the North Pole and still buy a cup of hot coffee. To get here fly north about as far as you can go and take a large wallet; flights to this extreme "top of the world" location are probably the most expensive in North America.
- Notes: Grise Fiord is what most think of when they think the "High Arctic". A tiny Inuit village of 148 people, this incredibly remote yet scenic place is home to 24 hours of darkness through four straight months of winter and 24 hours of daylight through four straight months come summer.
- Best Season: Spring
- Gear: Snow Goose Parka, extra batteries, long underwear
This Photo Has Been Viewed 2160 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!