Artist's Point Sunrise
- Title: Artist's Point Sunrise
- State/Province/Region: Minnesota
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Artist's Point
- Nearest Town: Grand Marais
- Brief Directions: To get to Artist's Point, turn towards Lake Superior at the only stoplight in Grand Marais. Park in the large parking lot near the Coast Guard building and then walk towards the lake. Artist's Point stretches from the lighthouse east of the Coast Guard buildings to a rugged rocky point to the east of the Coast Guard buildings. The rock presents many opportunities for interesting foregrounds. It's best to shot this destination in late Fall, Winter and early Spring, because during summer the sun rises too far inland to catch it over the lake.
- Notes: Artist's Point works best for sunrise. You can catch the sunset behind the nearby lighthouse from the Coast Guard parking lot.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: The sunrises over Lake Superior. To create the image, I stacked an ND grad to hold back the sky and a 10-stop ND filter to blur the water and the clouds. With the long exposure, the waves even out and create a solid sunbeam.
- Gear: Wide angle lens, ND Grads, 10-stop ND filter
This Photo Has Been Viewed 114 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!