- Title: Lone Elk
- State/Province/Region: Arkansas
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Buffalo National River
- Nearest Town: Ponca
- Brief Directions: Ponca is located in the headwaters area of the Buffalo National River, approximately 70 miles southeast of Fayetteville, Arkansas.
- Notes: Elk were reintroduced to the Buffalo River about 20 years ago. Ponca is one offers the river's finest elk viewing with fall and winter the best seasons for photography opportunities.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: A handsome, up-and-coming Rocky Mountain bull elk surveys the early morning landscape in Buffalo River country. He sports a 6x6 rack, which size wise makes him a 2013 contender for a herd of his own. Larger 7x7 bulls who roam the area controlled most of the female population this past fall during the annual rut.
- Gear: Nikon D800 with Nikkor 500mm f4 VRII lens; Manfrotto monopod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 424 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!