- Title: The Flame
- Country: Argentina
- Nearest Area: Los Glaciares National Park
- Nearest Town: El Chalten
- Brief Directions: Drive north from El Chalten to Los Glaciares National Park via north on Route 40, then west on Route 23.
- Notes: Single RAW exposure, ISO 100, 2 sec.,f16.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: I had set up camp at one of Patagonia's most photogenic lakes the day before in order to have easy access to the lake at sunrise the following morning. Unusual stillness allowed for a shot of the iconic Cerro Torre at the head of Laguna Torre while ice bergs floated into and out of the frame. An unusually peaceful moment in a place known for its harsh and violent weather. The challenge here was to find a composition in anticipation of the moving bergs during the small window of intense light. The location of the ice had completely changed overnight, so any planning I had done the day earlier was for naught. I had about 4 minutes of great light to compose and shoot before clouds snuffed out the flame.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 17-40L, Manfrotto tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 236 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!