Gates Of The Valley
- Title: Gates Of The Valley
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Yosemite Village
- Nearest Town: El Portal
- Brief Directions: From Yosemite Village, drive west on Northside Drive. The small parking area for Valley View is on the left, about half a mile before Pohono Bridge.
- Notes: Lens Setting: 23mm
Shutter Speed: 1.6 Seconds
Singh-Ray ND Grad
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Yosemite Valley - Yosemite National Park
In my opinion, this scene is on the list of amazing views one can just park and walk right up to. This accessibility coupled with its natural beauty makes this a very popular spot for photographing. Even though I arrived well before sunset; the banks of the Merced River at Valley View was already lined with photographers jockeying for prime positions. Although this image was not taken from the spot I had hoped to shoot from, I could certainly not complain.
I composed the scene so the grass reeds would also lead the eye down the center of the image, and through to the valley. The exposure I selected was based on a shutter speed that would sufficiently smooth out the water, and emphasize the orange glow created by the setting sun.
- Gear: Nikon D700/Nikon 18-35mm f3.5/Manfrotto Tripod/Giottos Ballhead/Singh-Ray ND grad
This Photo Has Been Viewed 130 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!