- Title: Mr. October
- State/Province/Region: Arkansas
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Buffalo National River
- Nearest Town: Ponca
- Brief Directions: The tiny, rural community of Ponca is located in the upper Buffalo National River wilderness area of northwest Arkansas, about 70 miles southeast of Fayetteville, AR.
- Notes: Rocky Mountain Elk were reintroduced to the Buffalo National River by the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission as a means of replacing the Eastern Elk, which was hunted into extinction in the early 1800's. An elk herd of about 800 animals now populates the entire 150 miles of river. Elk watching in Ponca is most popular in the fall and winter, when herds feed in the fields which lie between Hwy 43 and the river.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: On a late-evening stroll, a bull elk strikes a poster-worthy pose against a rich background of Buffalo River autumn color.
- Gear: Nikon D800; Nikkor 80-400mm lens; Hoya 77mm UV-HMC filter
This Photo Has Been Viewed 101 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!