Prelude To A Celebration
- Title: Prelude To A Celebration
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Marin Headlands
- Nearest Town: San Francisco
- Brief Directions: Drive north on Interstate Highway 101. Shortly before reaching San Francisco, there will be a small parking lot on the right, just off the highway. Park here, and take the trail up to Wolfback Ridge.
- Notes: The finished panorama consists of 6 separate shots, which were stitched together using Kolor Autopano Pro software.
- Description: I set up my camera and tripod on Wolfback Ridge, in anticipation of The Golden Gate Bridge 75th anniversary celebration. The Marin Headland hills were littered with people wanting to witness the display, including many other photographers. I thought this would be a great spot to photograph the big fireworks finale.
While waiting, I became captivated by the colorful little boats that had gathered in the harbor. Looking through the camera's viewfinder, I decided that I would attempt a panorama, so I could include the boats, city skyline and the car light trail that snaked from The Golden Gate Bridge along Highway 101. While I kept my camera aperture setting at a constant f/8, I realized that I needed to adjust the shutter speed setting as I panned across the scene. Doing this would give me a better chance of maintaining even lighting throughout the sky.
- Gear: Nikon D7000, Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G Lens, Manfrotto Tripod, Giottos Ballhead, Singh-Ray 3-Stop Soft ND Grad Filter
This Photo Has Been Viewed 317 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!