- Title: Portage, Ak
- State/Province/Region: Alaska
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: AK1 (Seward Hwy)
- Nearest Town: Girdwood
- Brief Directions: From Anchorage take AK1 (Seward Hwy) East/South towards Seward about 50 miles from downtown. Turn left onto Portage Glacier Rd.
- Notes: The weather in South Central Alaska is incredibly variable. You can get a sunny blue sky and temps approaching 80 degrees, you can also get overcast drizzling rain and 50s during the summer (June-Aug). Be prepared for any weather. The scenery is incredible all year, but especially during late-summer/fall (August) when the contrast of the pink fireweed, green foliage and snow capped peaks is at its greatest. Moose and bears frequent the area, so be prepared with a 300mm + lens as well as a wide angle to capture the sweeping vistas. There are several pull-outs and picnic areas along the road before you reach Portage Lake and the glacier. The Portage glacier is receding rather quickly, so if you want to see it up close plan on taking the tour boat. Several other glaciers are still readily accessible, including Byron glacier, only a short .5 miles from the road on a well marked and maintained trail. There are several short hikes in the area taking you into the lush rainforest of ferns and Sitka Spruce.
- Best Season: Summer
- Gear: Raingear, tripod, variety of focal lengths, and did I mention RA
This Photo Has Been Viewed 652 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!