- Title: Eklutna Lake
- State/Province/Region: Alaska
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Glenn Highway
- Nearest Town: Eagle River
- Brief Directions: From Anchorage, take the Glenn Highway North to Wasilla. From there, take the Eklutna Lake exit. After a 20 minute drive through beautiful forests, you arrive.
- Notes: Eklutna Lake, because of its close proximity to Anchorage (30 minutes), is a photographers dream.
The lake itself is surrounded by dramatic peaks and lush forests. There are plenty of options for shooting depending on the light. Dramatic sunset light creates beautiful mountain reflections and sweeping vistas. When itâ€™s cloudy, there are plenty of opportunities for marco photography of abundant flowers or lush forest scenes.
Each season has itâ€™s own special allure.
In the winter, the landscape transforms into a winter postcard. The shorter days in Alaska are conducive for all day photography with great light. Plus, the crowds have dwindled and youâ€™ll probably have the place to yourself, besides the occasional moose.
In the summer, the area is blooming with lush green forests and abundant flowers. The endless trail system allows for infinite perspectives.
In autumn, the area glows in color as trees turn bright yellow and the forest floor turns red.
If you go, bring plenty of layers and most importantly, plenty of memory cards.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Gear: Rain gear and layers.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 635 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!