- Title: Turnagain Pass
- State/Province/Region: Alaska
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Seward Highway
- Nearest Town: Hope
- Brief Directions: From Anchorage, drive south on the Seward Highway to Turnagain Pass. About a 1 hour drive.
- Notes: The long stretch of highway is perfect for winter photography. There are plenty of pullouts to explore wherever images strike you. Snowshoes or skis are a must to move through snow over 5 feet deep. Also, bring plenty of layers, as it will be cold.
The great thing about the area is that after a couple of minutes of walking, you will get the feeling that no one is within miles from you. Since you carve your own trail, you can go in any direction to seek out images.
The winter in Alaska is a special time. The crowds of sightseers are gone and even most residents are seemingly hibernating. So, wherever you go, you will likely be one of a few (if any) there. Also, daylight hours are scarce. In December, the sun will rise around 10 A.M. and set around 3:30 P.M. This of course means better light for more time in the day since the sun always sits low on the horizon. Not to mention that you can shoot sunrise without getting up ridiculously early, shoot sunset on the same outing, and be home for dinner.
- Best Season: Winter
- Gear: Snowshoes, plenty of layers and extra batteries
This Photo Has Been Viewed 645 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!