Waterfall At Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau Ak
- Title: Waterfall At Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau Ak
- State/Province/Region: Alaska
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mendenhall Glacier
- Nearest Town: Juneau
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Mendenhall Glacier is a glacier about 12 miles (19 km) long located in Mendenhall Valley, about 12 miles (19 km) from downtown Juneau in the southeast area of the U.S. state of Alaska.
Originally known as Sitaantaagu ("the Glacier Behind the Town") or Aak'wtaaksit ("the Glacier Behind the Little Lake") by the Tlingits, the glacier was named Auke (Auk) Glacier by naturalist John Muir for the Tlingit Auk Kwaan (or Aak'w Kwaan) band 1888. In 1899 it was renamed in honor of Thomas Corwin Mendenhall. It extends from the Juneau Icefield, its source, to Mendenhall Lake and ultimately the Mendenhall River.
- Gear: Canon 40D, 17-40mm, Polarizing Filter, ND Filter
This Photo Has Been Viewed 245 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!