View From Hopi Point
- Title: View From Hopi Point
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Kaibab National Forest
- Nearest Town: Flagstaff
- Brief Directions: The South Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park is accessible by driving north of Flagstaff on US highway 180 (about 70 miles).
- Notes: I knew that I had a unique opportunity to capture this national jewel with some unusual lighting. I was at the right place at the right time. The exposure was about 1/15th to 1/30th at F/11 using Velvia 50 film. I only partially used the cicular polarizer to avoid removing the rainbow altogether.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: This sunset photograph was taken at the Hopi Point lookout at the Grand Canyou National Park. Shortly before reaching the south rim of the Grand Canyon the snow and sleet stopped and the clouds started to clear. I felt that I was due for a real treat. I know from experience that some of the best scenic images are taken just after a clearing storm. To my delight, I not only had great lighting, but a beautiful rainbow appeared. All good landscape photos require a combination of planning, foresight and a bit of luck.
- Gear: Pentax PZ-1, FA 28-105mm zoom, tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 477 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!