Stone And Silence -south Unit / Coyote Buttes
Bob Simari / Baldwin, New York
- Title: Stone And Silence -south Unit / Coyote Buttes
- State/Province/Region: Arizona
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: US 89
- Nearest Town: Kanaab, Utah
- Brief Directions: Sop at the BLM Paria Ranger Station located on Route 89 midway between Kanab ,Utah and Page, Arizona the day before your intended visit to pick up the required permit to Coyote Buttes, South Unit; these permits are far easier to obtain than those for the North Unit which contains The Wave. BLM rangers will provide directions to the South Unit.
- Notes: You simply must have a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to this aarea; the road is steep and rutted with deep sand. Even with a jeep you may have trouble dealing with the approach road. Once you arrive, you'll be hiking thru deep sand and very hilly terrain - not a walk in the park and only for those who can deal with strenuous hiking. The rewards are great for those willing to make the effort. The "golden hour" lives up to its name here, as the fanciful rock formations start to glow as if on fire-but to experience this, you must hang around until the sun is just above the horizon. Carry a gps or compass because it's easy to get turned around here and wander about looking for the spot where you parked. Pay close attention to landmarks. A tripod and wide angle lens work best for me here; also, a split nd filter, polarizer come in handy. Gators will help to keep the sand from filling your boots.
- Best Season: Spring
- Gear: A 4 wd suv is essential to negotiate deep sand
This Photo Has Been Viewed 594 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!