Amtrak Cal Zephyr Heads East Toward Donner Pass
- Title: Amtrak Cal Zephyr Heads East Toward Donner Pass
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Donner Pass, Sierra Nevada
- Nearest Town: Truckee
- Brief Directions: Drive east from Sacramento/Roseville up I-80 about 80 miles. About 10 miles west of Donner Pass is Cisco, exit 164. There is a OHV parking area at the end of one of the frontage roads where you can park. The trail to signal peak is very steep and is strewn with boulders most of the way up. Elevation gain is close to 1600 feet. A great view south across the canyon.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Donner Pass is historic for many reasons. This is the first east-west crossing of the Sierras by any railroad, and is now nearly 150 years old. This photo was shot below the summit of Signal Peak. Shortly after the railroad was built, it was discovered that nearly 20 miles of the railroad could be seen from this mountain, and so a fire lookout was built. I wanted to shoot some photos of the modern day railroad from this same mountain, and this photo is a result.
- Gear: Nikon
This Photo Has Been Viewed 284 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!