Signal Peak Panorama
- Title: Signal Peak Panorama
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Donner Pass
- Nearest Town: Truckee
- Brief Directions: The trail to Signal Peak starts from a offroad vehicle parking lot near Cisco Grove, located right off I-80 between Sacramento and Reno. The trail is steep and very rocky. Elevation gain is about 1700 feet in about 3 miles. This photo was shot just south of the summit of Signal Peak.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: Signal Peak was used as a Fire Lookout for the Southern Pacifc Railroad for nearly 60 years. This location (about 10-15 miles west of Donner Pass, CA) was chosen because fire lookouts could watch nearly 20 miles of track from one spot. Around 1934 a panorama was shot from Signal Peak. Upon seeing this old panorama in the book "Donner Pass" by John Signor, I wanted to shoot a updated version of the panorama. This photo, shot June 16, 2012 is the result.
- Gear: Nikon D90
This Photo Has Been Viewed 149 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!