Alabama Hills Blizzard
- Title: Alabama Hills Blizzard
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Owens Valley
- Nearest Town: Lone Pine
- Brief Directions: From Los Angeles takes Hwy 14 to Hwy 395 at Inyokern. From the San Bernardino area takes I-15 to Hwy 395 near Victorville. Travel north to Lone Pine, about a 3-3 1/2 hour drive.
- Notes: Although I've been to the Alabama Hills many times the snow experience was the best, however, it's relatively rare so for more normal conditions I would recommend Autumn when the Cottonwood trees are turning gold. The higher drainages along the east slope traveling north toward Bishop and beyond have easy access to pines and Aspens along the creeks.
- GPS Longitude: 118.1
- GPS Latitude:
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: The rocky Alabama Hills are located between Lone Pine and the east slope of the High Sierras. Countless western movies and commercials have been filmed here. In Feb. 2009 a major Alaskan storm swept into Calif. and turned the hills into a winter wonderland. The High Sierras hid behind cloud cover for 2 days. This photograph was taken from a parking area on Movie Rd., looking south toward the Inyo Mts., also hiding behind the clouds.
- Gear: Nikon D300/Nikon 18-200/Gitzo tripod, RRS BH-55 ballhead
This Photo Has Been Viewed 324 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!