- Title: Desert Visions
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Owens Valley
- Nearest Town: Lone Pine
- Notes: This shot would have been impossible without high ISO cameras. The light was dwindling and the wind was moving everything including the tripod around. 14bit depth of pixel information and good depth of field made this shot work. Galen liked Velvia film so I post processed digitally with this effect from One Software Perfect Effects V4, using Green Velvet. I love Galen's work displayed in "Mountain Light Gallery" in Bishop, California.
- Description: Eastern Sierras in Owens Valley can get really windy. Winds so strong that Semi Trucks will topple over. But with the winds come Lenticulars, Galen Rowell's favorite cloud subject in Owens Valley. I was able to line up with Red Hill, a cinder cone with red and black basalt material. That ghost in the image is basalt getting wiped up by the wind and going to hit my camera in a few seconds. Had to be quick.
- Gear: Nikon 800E, Nikkor 50mm lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 157 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!