Lunar Set, Minarets, California
- Title: Lunar Set, Minarets, California
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mammoth Mountain
- Nearest Town: Mammoth Lakes
- Notes: 400mm with a doubler for 800mm and cutting the F stop in half makes full moon shots challenging. Some of the Aspen glow from the sun rising at the same time helps get the speed up. 6 seconds is about a long as one can make it. With new camera out by Canon and Nikon, moving up the ISO above 2000 can save the shots.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Using tools that predict Moonset angles for different times of year, I was able to line up with the California Minarets with the moon. My first attempt was too close to get a large moon. So I moved from 6 miles away to over 20 miles away the next time. Things were going great when the moon disappeared from clouds over the Eastern Sierras. At first I thought it would be a bust, but the moon peaked out a little and I was able to catch it. People tell me they like this shot over full moon shots.
- Gear: Sony a900, 70-400mm G2 Lens, Vivitar Doubler, Slik Tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 92 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!