- Title: Elements
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Death Valley National Park
- Nearest Town: Furnace Creek
- Description: As I evolve in my photography, I find myself less concerned about simply capturing a scene and more intrigued by the character and depth within the image. I'm constantly in search of textures, layers and patterns in the shadows, background and foreground. I keep in mind the juxtoposition of warm and cool contrasts. I'm looking for lines leading in and around and out. I love patterns within patterns and vertical layers.
Not surprising that in Death Valley, I was like a kid in a candy shop.
The opportunity for textures and layers were limitless. Low angle lighting provides the perfect amount of contrast to define these textures so timing the light is essential. The addition of the human element brings a bit of a "story" to the scene and the composition is complete.
The sheer size of Death Valley National park is at first exasperating and hard to wrap your mind around let alone settle down and compose images thoughtfully. I can't wait to return and return again to wander and seek out all those inviting elements.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, 70-200mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 131 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!