Mosquito Lake - Ebbett's Pass, Hwy 4
- Title: Mosquito Lake - Ebbett's Pass, Hwy 4
- State/Province/Region: California
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Hwy 4 Ebett's Pass
- Nearest Town: Markleeville
- Brief Directions: Take Hwy 4 from Angels Camp and go all the way up past Bear Valley. The road starts to narrow and wind and the scenery gets more beautiful as you go higher. You will reach Mosquito Lake and eventually hwy 89 that takes you over to hwy 395.
- Notes: One of my favorite places to take a drive. The ancient bristle cone pines lead the way up the winding Ebbett's pass, past the quaint little lake they call Mosquito Lake. IN winter and fall it is topped with snow, in the fall it is hues of yellow, oranges, and reds. In spring the lake is full of lily pads and there are mountain poppies growing as well as other high country wild flowers. Drive up past the lake and you eventually get up to where you can go straight to Markleeville, a quaint little gold rush mining town or turn right at hwy 89 and take that through tundra terrain and vast views or Nevada as you wind your way down to hwy 395 wihich will eventually take you to Mono Lake and Bodie CA if you turn south. Turn north and you can enjoy the views of Topaz lake. Passthrough Gardnerville until you reach hwy 88 and take that back over Carson Pass through Hope Valley (another favorite place of mine) and eventually back down to Jackson.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Gear: Tripod, wide angle lens, warm clothes, snacks, a blanket and ple
This Photo Has Been Viewed 247 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!